- Youâ€™ll need a Cisco 2500 Series router that has a corrupt image or NO IOS image at all. If you wish to simulate this lab you can erase the flash on your device and reboot. Please note that youâ€™ll need to backup the Cisco IOS image prior to erasing it unless you have another image on hand that you wish to load onto the device.
- A console connection to the device is REQUIRED.
- Youâ€™ll need a TFTP server installed on your PC to restore the image.
- Boot the Cisco router into ROM mode by breaking the boot sequence using the keystroke CTRL+Pause Break
- Change the configuration register to boot the ROM(BOOT) image. Configuration register to be used is 0x2141
- Initialize the router by issuing theÂ iÂ command
- Assign an IP address to the ethernet interface and configure a default gateway (if required)
- Copy the Cisco IOS image from the TFTP server into flash memory.
- Change the configuration register back to its default value and reload the device to ensure that the device boots up properly with the restored IOS image.