- Youâ€™ll need a Cisco 2600 Series router or greater that has a corrupt Cisco IOS image or NO IOS image at all. If you wish to simulate this lab you can erase the flash on your device and reboot. Please note that youâ€™ll need to backup the Cisco IOS image prior to erasing it unless you have another image on hand that you wish to load onto the device.
- A console connection to the device is REQUIRED
- Youâ€™ll need a TFTP server installed on your PC to restore the image.
- Boot the Cisco router into ROM mode by breaking the boot sequence using the keystroke CTRL + Pause Break
- Set the TFTPDNLD variables required to execute the procedure which include IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, TFTP Server, TFTP Image name.
- Execute the TFTPDNLD command and load the image into RAM using the -r switch.
- Once booted into Cisco IOS, configure a router so that you may copy a Cisco IOS image from a TFTP server to Flash.
- Once all necessary configuration is done copy the IOS image from the TFTP server to the flash.
- After the copy has completed, reboot the router and verify that the image boots successfully.